Teatro del Mercado, Zaragoza
On the Plaza Santo Domingo there is a very small theater with an unusual name that can be translated as" theater in the market " (Teatro del Mercado on the map). In fact, everything is quite simple - tetr occupies a building that used to house a fish market. The shopping pavilion designed by Miguel Angel Navarro was built in 1929 in the neo-Renaissance style. The architect was inspired by the Aragonese palaces with arched galleries and carved wooden cornices, and in the appearance of the building you can guess the features of the exchange of Zaragoza (Lonja de Zaragoza).
In 1983, the market was closed and the building was rebuilt according to the project of Daniel Olano. The building belongs to the company "Intimate theater of Zaragoza" (Teatro Íntimo de Zaragoza), the hall can accommodate 208 spectators. Here are staged love dramas based on the works of authors of the 20th century, this fall there was a production of "the Letter of a stranger" based on a Novella by Stefan Zweig.
In front of the building there are two statues of muses.
The fountain on the square is also decorated with sculptures of theatrical themes.